Friday, June 20, 2008

Treasure

Solomon sought meaning for his life; he wanted to believe that his life would be more valuable than its mere length. Perhaps he measured himself by his father’s accomplishments – driven to achieve. But Solomon approaches meaning from a broad perspective, in some ways like Victor Frankle’s work, Man’s Search for Meaning. In Ecclesiastes 2 he briefly mentions his search for meaning through pleasure, only to turn abruptly, “Laughter is foolish. And what does pleasure accomplish?” So he searched in other ways:

I tried cheering myself with wine, and embracing folly--my mind still guiding me with wisdom. I wanted to see what was worthwhile for men to do under heaven during the few days of their lives.
I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards.
I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them.
I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees.
I bought male and female slaves and had other slaves who were born in my house. I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me.
I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I acquired men and women singers, and a harem as well--the delights of the heart of man.
I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me. In all this my wisdom stayed with me.
I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor.

But in the end he says, “…when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun. (Ecclesiastes 2:3-11).

Verse 8 reveals a lot about humankind, Solomon drew to himself all the delights of the heart. Interestingly, this is the only verse in the Bible where “treasure” and “heart” both appear, other than when Jesus says, “Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Solomon’s search for meaning is really a search for what to worship.

Where do we search for meaning in our lives? That is where we keep our treasure, and that is our god. Remember…We follow Him!

Don Morrison

1 comment:

Broken Chains 4 All said...

The more time I spend in Ecclesiastes, the more that I am able to look past "the depression" and see Solomon's grand nuggets of wisdom...and there are many.

1mm