Saturday, September 12, 2009

If We Are Really in a Battle, Who is Our Enemy?

Christians long to know that they have done something of importance in the kingdom of God. We find the passage in Matthew 25 where Jesus says that by serving one of the least of his disciples, we serve him – even by giving a simple drink of water. Sometimes we hope that is significant enough because we have got so many other things going on in our lives that we are not sure what else we can do. Or we just don’t see how we can make any other contribution.

So when do we need the armor of Ephesians 6? What is it for?

Most people make a great deal out of the defensive nature of the armor of God mentioned in Ephesians 6:10-20. And maybe that is the correct way to understand it - perhaps the apostle is only equipping us to not lose ground. There is value in that. And defending our ground is a difficult battle when against Satan comes at you with temptation. But it is worth noting that when a Roman foot soldier went into an offensive engagement, those are the same weapons he would take.

But, getting more to the question, it may not be so important that we design the battle plan so that we know we are in the battle, as it is that we just put on the armor and fight the good fight. When I don’t know what to say, but I know the person I am talking to needs to hear from God – that is a spiritual battle. When I want to help someone out, but I just don’t have the time or the energy – that is a spiritual battle. When I am embarrassed or hurt – that is a spiritual battle. Those are the opportunities we have to live out of the good news of our faith and to share it with others. Those are the times when our faith, our gift of righteousness, the word, our readiness all comes into play. What we do and say may be rather small and plain, but those are moments of battle when we feel the intensity and we know we were tempted to fall back.

If we are not aware, we lose the moment. That’s one of the reasons why it is so important to put on the armor. Wearing the armor helps us to remember that we are indeed in a struggle for the kingdom of God. When we are not aware, there is still a battle raging around us, but we cannot win, if we do not fight. Perhaps then, the battle looks like us being engaged in the lives and welfare of others. Perhaps it looks simply like that cup of water. Maybe, the biggest part of my battle is what I fight within myself.

Putting on the armor of God is like our own personal call to arms. It says, “I will be engaged – I will not be oblivious.” It says, “I am ready to fight – I will not miss the opportunity to serve.” Then the enemy I often fight is my own self-absorption, my own will, my own agenda.

Lord, help us to take up your cross and follow you, whether it is in plain, simple service or in great sacrifice. Help us to be ready and engaged in that moment so we will stand for you.

No comments: