Friday, April 16, 2010

Devotional Reading of the Word Part 2

In her book, Spiritual Disciplines Handbook, Adele Calhoun says the desire of Devotional Reading is, “to prayerfully encounter and surrender to the living God through attending to Scripture.” It requires an openness that allows one to hear and reflect on the voice of God. It aims to develop relationship rather than gather information.

She describes the first movement in Devotional Reading as Silence before God. Clearing our mind of all the competing voices, dumping our schedule for half an hour and preparing to hear words from God.

Listen to this word from God:
"Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:8,9)

What of your life gets in the way of just listening and accepting this word from God? What of your thoughts would rather analyze and organize his word rather than merely soaking it in and letting it set upon your heart and mind? Stop and hear. Keep silence before the Lord. Be still and hear.

Share with us what happens after you practice this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday was a very good day. The day before felt like a horrible day. My fears and worries were overwhelming me. I woke up at three in the morning and couldn't go back to sleep.
I got on my knees and prayed to God for peace, wisdom, guidance, help, relief. I thanked him for my blessings--for they are many.
He brought me peace. I went back to bed and fell asleep. The next day I got several pieces of good news in the areas about which I had been worrying. I thanked God with each piece of news.
I know God's in charge but sometimes my faith is small. And this world is cruel. But he is God.
I read something one time that said, "Don't tell God how big your problems are, Tell your problem how big your God is." I hope to practice that more.
Thanks for your words. I wish to remain anonymous. CD

Don Morrison said...

I truly appreciate your thoughts. Thank you for sharing some of your experiences with prayer and trust.

Anonymous said...

I sense a kindred spirit, thanks for your post.