Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Colossians 3:12-17

Reflections before I Get There
Colossians chapter three does not stand on its own; 2:23 says that the rules we make for ourselves, or even those imposed upon us by religion, “have no value in restraining sensual indulgence.” (NIV) One translation says, “These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, pious self-denial, and severe bodily discipline. But they provide no help in conquering a person’s evil desire.” (NLT)

I confess that I have been a part of the tribe that has worked very hard to conquer the sinful desires in my life by adherence to the rules. I don’t mean just any arbitrary rules. I chose the best: straight from scripture (and my parents, and my church, and my own interpretation of all those…). And, I confess that it worked – that is, it sort of worked. I felt stronger by my adherence to the rules. I felt more pleasing to God because of my adherence to the rules. I felt that I was a better testimony because of my adherence to the rules. The rules were comforting as long as I believed that I was staying on top of them. But I finally realized that, although those rules of religion may change my behavior, they weren’t doing much to change me.

If Colossians 2:23 tells me that the power to overcome sin is not found in the rules, then the next verse tells me how sin is overcome – it is in being raised with Christ. Although much of this chapter, and the next, is occupied with right living, the reader is blessed who notes that, there is no claim here that righteous living will overcome sin and its inherent conflict within us. There is nothing to say that following even these rules will transform one into the image of the Christ. Instead, these “moralisms” are emphatically described as the result what has already been accomplished in Christ.

2:20
You died with Christ and were set free from the battle to attain righteousness through the rules that work in the flesh.

2:23
Those rules have no value in the transformation from a person embattled with sin to the one who lives in the image of Christ.

2:6, 7, 3:1-3
The power of transformation comes from sinking our roots deep into Christ, accepting him as the only way to win the spiritual battle with the allure of this world and its rules. The thought here is not that one roots himself in Christ, but that he allows (passive) his roots to sink into Christ, further, that he allows his life to be built firmly on those roots and his faith can also be expected to grow. Perhaps it could be said, Since you have accepted Jesus as your Lord, let him do his work in your body to anchor you, construct you and nourish your faith. That is similar to 3:1, Since you have been raised to new life (instead of trying to re-create that old life into something worthy, grab hold of your new vision of heaven and hold tightly to it. Stop being controlled by the old vision of a better you in this world and let heaven’s vision transform you. Someone has said, “live up to what Christ has done for you.”

1. If rules of righteousness provide no help in conquering evil desires, do these passages offer any help?
2. How may the rules contribute to self righteousness? Or defeat? How are rules comforting? Or disconcerting?
3. How does rule-keeping affect one’s testimony about the Christ?
4. How might Paul have meant for 3:12-17 to differ from the idea of rule-keeping?
5. Pray about the work of Christ in raising you into a new life and how his righteousness might live in your body. Do you think God might show you the answer to this prayer?

No comments: