Wednesday, November 04, 2009

What do You Want?

“God, can I please have a girlfriend?”

“Well, George, I don’t see why not.”

“Yeah, me neither God, but it’s not working out so well. You see, there’s this girl I’ve been seeing, but now she is saying that we shouldn’t see each other anymore. I really think I love her and I don’t want to lose her.”

“Oh, I see. You know I have been watching and involved in that relationship too.”

“You have? Then you know that I have always treated her nicely. I have been respectful and affectionate and I have tried to be there for her no matter what.
“What I don’t understand God, is that I have been asking for this for a while now – I have told you before how badly I want this relationship with her – but you have not answered me. You remember that Jesus said, ‘you may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.’ I asked in Jesus’ name, so why haven’t you been answering?”

“Well, George, there is this little thing you call, ‘free will’. I am not going to make her choose you. But there is something else you need to understand – ‘in Jesus’ name, amen’ are not magic words I gave so that you could conjure up the world at your beck and call. Those words convey a meaning that is much too valuable to abuse like that. When you ask for something in my son’s name, you are claiming his purpose and authority.”

“What? I don’t understand, God.”

“Yes, I have known that for awhile. You have seen those WWJD bracelets around for some time, right? So you probably know that is an acronym for ‘What Would Jesus Do?’ It’s a question that can help you orient your heart and thoughts to behave as my son would in every circumstance. At least as well as you can.”

“Well sure God, I’ve done that before.”

“Yes, and I have been pleased with your efforts.
“That is what praying in Jesus’ name means. It means to think about what you pray for in light of what he wants. In this case, what he wants for you and for her. And I can tell you that he does not want to make her love you against her own will. You might try a different approach, like, asking for guidance on how you can honor me in this relationship with her, whether you are ever a couple or not.”

“But God, that’s not what I want.”

“And that is the problem…you are saying you do not truly want to pray in Jesus’ name, you only want magic words to get your own will accomplished.”

“When you put it that way, it sounds bad.”

“It is bad, George. But it doesn’t have to be. I promise that if you truly pray in the name of my son – for his purposes and under his authority, I will bless you with blessings created especially for you.”

“Lord, I really want her, but I will try what you have said because I want you more.”

No comments: