Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Jesus Loves Me, Jesus Loves You

In about 1997 the Mango Church of Christ and the Tampa Bay Church of Christ merged. They had come from very different backgrounds with very different personalities. The median age at one was about 37 and the other about 60. In the one, most of the brothers and sisters had grown up in the Church of Christ; in the other, most had been members less than 10 years and many had formerly lived very worldly lives. It is not hard to imagine many other differences between these two divergent groups of people. Yet they had made a decision to come together and work together.

The new congregation was named the Bay Area Church of Christ. Even after the merger was official, there were still many obstacles to be overcome. In a seminar each of the staff spoke about how the church could be united around and benefit from their respective areas of work. One of the ministers started his session by asking the question, “How do you feel about the Church?” My thoughts immediately wandered back through my experiences with the church. I thought of those who had cared for me and nurtured my spiritual growth. I had been the recipient of amazing love through the body of Christ. But I also thought of the pain that had come to me and to my family through our experience with the Church. I realized that there were people I didn’t want to sit next to in worship, or even be in the same room with ever again.

After his initial question, “How do you feel about the Church?” and a long pause, the speaker made what seemed to me to be a profound and convicting statement: “Christ, Jesus died for her.” That hit me in the face. Those brothers and sisters that I had felt so alienated from – Jesus died for them. The ones who had hurt me and I had kept my record of sins on them – Jesus died for them. The ones who were my enemies were worthy of the blood of Jesus, my very own Savior. How could I feel such enmity for those who Jesus loved so deeply and completely?

At that moment, another realization came to light: I was his enemy when he loved me. I was against him when he was for me. Those brothers and sisters who I had set myself against were no different than me and Christ poured out his life to purchase them and me together. How could I receive such love and grace from Jesus and refuse it to others? I was a hypocrite to love those who loved me and reject the rest. I had to learn to love the way Jesus loves.

“Dear friends, I am not writing a new commandment for you, rather it is an old one you have had from the beginning. This old commandment – to love one another – is the same message you have heard before. Yet it is also new. Jesus lived the the truth of this commandment and you also are living it.” (1 John 2:7-8a)

No comments: